Welcome to the Wayne Green Team's website. Here you can find information on local recycling options, how to properly dispose of special waste, tips for how to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and more. To find out what projects we're working on and what green events are coming, check out our News & Events section.
Our Mission Statement
The Wayne Green Team
- Promotes awareness of the interdependence of the environment, the individual and the community
- Encourages ecologically friendly use of water, energy and consumable products
There is no such thing as waste, only wasted resources.
Who We Are
The Wayne Green Team is a group of community volunteers focused on minimizing waste and increasing sustainable behavior throughout our community. You'll see us at public events educating people on how and what to recycle, teaching Green lessons to elementary school students, and helping college students donate their household items instead of dumping them. We also work to obtain grants to help fund projects, such as hosting e-waste collection events or buying recycling equipment.
In 2015, we were selected as Green Team of the Year by Waste Cap Nebraska (now known as Nebraska Recycling Council), and are one of five rural communities in Nebraska participating in their Zero Waste Project. With their partnership, we are learning how to bring together leaders to develop community-based strategies for reducing waste through policy, infrastructure and education.
Anyone is welcome to join our efforts or attend our regular meetings held the second Monday of each month at 7 PM at the Wayne Public Library's Conference Room.
How We Started
In 2009, then Mayor Lois Shelton appointed 15 individuals from the community to identify ways to increase awareness of environmental issues in Wayne and to increase recycling efforts throughout the area. The Green Team set three areas of initial focus:
- Reducing the waste stream & increasing recycling in Wayne
- Reducing energy use at the municipal and private levels, and
- Decreasing water consumption while increasing retention of storm water.
|Our Waste Reduction Efforts in 2016
- 16,000 pounds of electronics collected and diverted from the landfill at our fall recycling event, also raising $2,700 for our Zero Waste Program
- Household Hazardous Waste Event collected 3,500 lbs of paint, 400 lbs of pesticides, 240 lbs of car batteries, and 236 fluorescent light bulbs, plus many other household hazardous wastes
- 377 lbs of holiday light strings were collected, a 74% increase from 2015, recycled by RetroFit in Minneapolis for the copper wire
- 17 tons of glass recycled at the Wayne Transfer Station in eight months, collected by Ripple Glass in Kansas City to be made into insulation and bottles
- 5,525 lbs of cans recycled by the Boy Scouts at a rate of 14,300 cans per month. The $2,000 was enough to send seven scouts to a week long summer camp
- Recipient of the Keep America Beautiful/Dr. Pepper Park Bin Grant in 2017
- Awarded $25,000 in grant funds between 2013 and 2017
- Recognized as Green Team of the Year in October 2015 by WasteCap Nebraska, now known as the Nebraska Recycling Council
- JOIN - Join the Green Team by Email.
- LIKE - Like us on Facebook.
- FOLLOW - Follow us on Twitter @WayneGreenTeam
- MEET - Come to our monthly meetings held on the 2nd Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Conference Room at the Wayne Public Library (check the City Calendar of Events for meeting changes).
are handy tips from the Wayne Green Team for how to incorporate Earth friendly actions in and outside your home. Check for our monthly update, which is also included in the City of Wayne's Utility Newsletter. Any questions, just email