Power Outages

What to Check Before Calling

The City of Wayne Electric Distribution Department continually installs new equipment and maintains existing equipment to keep outages to a minimum. However, things like storms, accidents, animals contacting energized lines, and equipment failure do cause problems from time to time. In the event of a power outage, please check your own fuses and breakers first. Also, find out if your neighbors are out of power before calling in. This will assist our crews in finding the problem.

If you live in a mobile home park, please check the pedestal outside the mobile home as well as the fuses and breakers inside. If you live in an apartment compex, you should check with your neighbors before calling the City of Wayne. If they have power, the problem is very likely a problem within the apartment complex and not one that would involve the City of Wayne. You should also check the main breakers for your apartment. These are usually found in a mechanical room or on an outside wall of the apartment building. Please check with your building manager concerning the location of the breakers.

Charges May Apply

It is our goal to repair any problems and restore power to our customers as quickly and safely as possible. However, it is important that customers be aware that city employees cannot troubleshoot electrical problems beyond the service entrance or inside the home or business. It is recommended that this work be done only by a licensed electrician. It is also important for the customer to know that the Electric Distribution Department may bill a service charge of $35.00 per hour during normal business hours and a rate of $42.00 per hour after normal hours if a problem is found to be on the customer's property and not with the service to the property.


To report a power outage or power-related problem, please call (402) 375-2896.