Plastic Bag Recycling
Plastic bags require a different type of recycling than plastic bottles and containers. That's why it's important to bring them to specially designed locations for recycling instead of placing them in your curbside recycling container.
What kinds of bags can I recycle in Wayne?
Our local grocery stores in Wayne, Pac N Save and Quality Foods, each have a plastic recycling bin at the front of their stores labeled Bag-2-Bag. These bins accept the following bags:
- Plastic retail bags
- Produce bags
- News Paper bags
- Dry Cleaning bags
- Paper towel and toilet paper wrap
- Over wrap on cases of soda or canned vegetables
- Sealed air pouches in mailed packages, called "Air Pillows"
- Ziploc and other zipper-style bags -- please remove zippers prior to recycling
Do not recycle these in Bag-2-Bag bins
How else can I reduce my use of plastic bags?
Take your own reusable bags to the store when you shop. Both Pac N Save and Quality Foods offer a reusable bag credit of 5 cents per bag you bring and use.
Purchase a reusable bag to shop with. Our local retailers in Wayne offer great cloth bags for sale. You can find these at Pac N Save, Quality Foods, and Shopko, plus many other retailers.
Why recycle bags and wraps?
Plastic bags can end up in our waterways, trees, landscapes and more -- all places where they do not belong. The average American uses 500 plastic bags a year for only 12 minutes before discarding. By reducing our use of plastic bags and recycling what we do have, we help protect our environment and minimize our reliance on landfills. Plus, recycled plastic bags can be made into outdoor decking, park benches, and new bags, among other things.
For more useful tips about how to reduce your use of plastic, check out these resources:
- Bag It The Movie: Is your life too plastic?
- Plastic Pollution Coalition
- A Life Less Plastic - 10 Alternatives (PDF)
- List of what you can recycle and where in Wayne (PDF)